Saturday 23 May 2015

A day in the life of a South African Maid

Day 2

As I walked into Sandton city this morning, I felt myself sinking.

As I approached one of my favourite shops, I considered not going in and turning back and just going home, But none the less my friend pulled me in.

As I walked into Top Shop I looked around to see the people around me, starring at the domestic worker in such a high end shop. only Today the domestic worker was me, I felt a shiver going down my neck as I one of the employees whom I knew very well just walked passed me, not recognising me and not offering me help.

At this point I felt angry, I was angry because just like all the other people who were in the store, I was a customer too, and deserved the same amount of help and attention as the person standing next to me, instead I was overlooked.

After Today's experience I was in such a hurry to get home because I felt so little so uncomfortable and so betrayed. Betrayed by society and their perceptions, and a little betrayed in myself for not feeling comfortable in my own skin.


I will try again tomorrow.

x



No comments:

Post a Comment